Boston Glory is a second-year team in the American Ultimate Disc League (AUDL). Glory has compiled extensive touch-by-touch data from dozens of previously-played AUDL games and is now looking to employ this data to gain a strategic advantage in its quest to become AUDL champion!
Our initial objective is to create a model which identifies factors that significantly impact the expected value (EV) of a particular situation on the field. With this done, we hope to identify both strategies and players whose performance leads to meaningful increases or decreases in EV. In part, this analysis would involve automated big data techniques to segment our data in ways which may identify statistically significant anomalies hinting at the possibility of a strategic opportunity.
In pursuit of this objective, we are looking for individuals who can help with a number of data-driven tasks:
- Building data pipelines and managing databases to keep data sources accurate and up to date
- Creating models to predict expected value for given in-game situations
- Performing basic analyses to determine player value and disaggregate that value into components
- Creating automated systems to parse data in search of anomalous situations that may afford a strategic advantage
- Automating outputs and reports
- Communicating findings across the analytics team and to the coaching staff and players
Additionally, we would be receptive in learning about any alternative approaches we might pursue in order to claim the AUDL Championship!
Among the skills we expect to be useful are:
- Familiarity with the sport of Ultimate
- Experience working with and analyzing sports data sets
- Python or R
- Familiarity with Google Sheets
- Expected Value
- Bayesian Statistics
- Markov Models
- Machine Learning
- Reinforcement Learning
- Orchestration/ETL tools such as Airflow
*Candidates are not expected to have all of these skills. Even a couple can be of great aid to our efforts.
This position is unpaid, and the hours are flexible. Interested candidates are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org briefly describing their data background, relevant skills, and the amount of time they have available to unravel the mysteries of Ultimate and drive Glory to the pinnacle of its league.