- Date: Saturday, February 24, 2018
- Place: Dunbar High School, 101 N St NW, Washington, DC 20001 (Enter at 1st & O Streets NW)
- Availability: Space is limited, so registration may be closed prior to or day of event
- Age Requirement: 18+
- 12:00pm: Check-in
- 12:30pm-1:00pm: Introduction and preparation with coaching staff and trainers
- 1:00pm-4:45pm: On-field activities…
- 1:00pm-1:30pm: Coach instructions and warmups
- 1:30pm-2:30pm: Rotations of box out, shoulder cutting & performance testing
- 2:30pm-3:00pm: Handler defense training
- 3:00pm-3:30pm: 4-line drills
- 3:30pm-4:45pm: Larger field scrimmages / mini games
- 4:45pm-5:00pm: Cool down and coaching staff wrap-up
- 5:00pm: End of tryouts
Join the Facebook Event
$50 Advance Registration (thru 6pm February 23)
$60 On-Site Registration — February 24
Available 12pm at venue, space permitting
This event is equal opportunity, for our coaching staff to give strong ultimate players throughout the region who are looking to improve — all ethnicities and genders welcome — several hours of valuable, elite level experience and training. And it is to identify the best players among *all* those who come out, to offer them a spot on the 2018 Breeze roster. We expect that approximately 20 roster spots will be available to tryout participants. Whether you eventually make the team, or whether you feel you even have a reasonable chance to make the team this year, you will be exposed to a ton of valuable information and experience about what it takes to play elite level ultimate: training techniques for peak performance, injury prevention, proper warmups, high level drills, offensive and defensive positioning and strategies, etc.
DC Breeze Technical Director Alex “Dutchy” Ghesquiere‘s pedigree includes many years of playing, coaching and developing players at the highest levels of our sport including a trophy case full of U.S. and World titles as both a player and a coach. He was again called on to lead the U.S. National Team last year, winning gold at the 2017 World Games in Poland.
DC Breeze head coach Darryl Stanley addresses the fans after the Breeze’s 28-16 playoff win over the Montreal Royal. Photo by Rob Gilmore.
Head Coach Darryl Stanley returns for his second season with a new 2-year contract extension after a very successful initial campaign. He led the team to a 10-4 regular season record, a playoff victory and a berth in the the East Division title game… where the team fell just short of its first ever invitation to AUDL Championship Weekend. Stanley arrived in DC from Philadelphia last year with a strong coaching resume, having led successful college and club campaigns as well as the Philadelphia Spinners pro team to the final MLU championship in 2016.
2017 Assistant Coach Will Smolinski brings a well documented record of success as an ultimate coach to the tryout process as well, along with a well known and respected defensive acumen that is second to none in the region.
Please Join Us February 24!
Our staff is deeply committed to making this event a valuable learning experience for anyone very serious about the sport who wants to take his or her game to a higher level both physically and mentally, be it for college, club or pro ultimate. Join us — let’s strengthen the DMV Ultimate Community across the board!
- You must be 18 years or older on February 24, 2018 in order to participate in the tryouts. Please bring a photo id, water bottle, rubber cleats, and both a dark and white shirt with the same number if possible.
- Street parking is available around the high school. If driving, please allow a few extra minutes to find a spot and get to the venue.
- All 2018 season ticket holders are welcome to join the 12:30-1pm introductory discussion at no charge
- The public is welcome to come out and observe the tryouts from the stands 1pm-5pm at no charge
Subsequent invitation-only tryout/practices will take place March 3-4 and March 10-11, at which time the team will set the final 36-player extended official+practice roster. By league rule only 20 can be named to the active roster for each game. All players not named to the 20-player active roster for any particular game will still be considered part of the team throughout the entire season and encouraged to participate in all practices as well as attend games on the sideline with the team.
Thanks, and we hope to see you February 24!
Head Coach Darryl Stanley
Highlights from the 2016 Tryouts